One of the first Steinway pianos, built in the kitchen of master cabinet maker Henry Engelhard Steinweg in Seesen, Germany in 1836. Mr. Steinway immigrated to America and founded Steinway & Sons in 1853 in a Manhattan loft. By that time he had built 482 pianos. The first piano produced by the company, number 483, was sold to a New York family for $500. It is now displayed at the New York City’s Metropolitan Museum of Art.