Mike Casteel steps down as principal of Maryville High School

Maryville High School principal Mike Casteel announced today that he will step down from the post he has held since 2007 at the end of this school year. Mr. Casteel informed his staff at the school today of his decision to step-back for awhile and refocus his attention on individual students, as well as his own health and well-being.

Director of Schools Stephanie Thompson said “Mr. Casteel has served the school and school district well during a long period of change and challenge in secondary education. After spending five years as an assistant principal, Casteel began his tenure as principal with enthusiasm and quickly initiated a variety of changes at the school that will have lasting benefits for students. During the past four years, Casteel has successfully worked through many of his personal and professional goals, focusing on data-driven results and raising the bar at MHS in terms of both rigor and relevance. The number of Advanced Placement (AP) courses and dual credit options for students has increased significantly in recent years, due in large part to Casteel’s leadership. He has also been instrumental in organizational changes that align educators and support staff in teams that focus on student need and the result of assessment data, in addition to core subject content.”

Mike Casteel is a 1979 graduate of Maryville High School and holds a master’s degree in Industrial Arts Education from the University of Tennessee, as well as Principal’s Certification. Mr. Casteel will continue to use his teaching and coaching experience in the Maryville City Schools.

Thompson issued a statement regarding the steps that will follow this announcement, which will include “creating a timeline for transition and embarking on an exhaustive search for the individual who can best lead Maryville High School during the years ahead – working with staff, parents and the community to take MHS to a new level of achievement and opportunity for all students. “

© 2011 blounttoday.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• Discuss

Comments » 6

agentorange007 writes:

What's the REAL story?

tennessee7 writes:

I've never seen so many changes in a school system....there has to be another side...

agentorange007 writes:

Can anybody 'splain to me how someone who has never headed a classroom as a teacher, or a school as a principal, end up as the City of Maryville's highest paid employee at $126,000 plus per year?

sunshine writes:

It helps to be an athlete from a county dynasty.
Funny that Murvul is so much "better" than the county schools but its two most recent directors graduated from county schools. Maybe they're trying to destroy us from within.

mysterio writes:

in response to agentorange007:

I assume you are talking about Casteel? If so, he did teach. I was a student of his 1996 drivers education class at MHS.

Anyway, he definitely was better than the principal when I attended... Messer stepped down after he was caught stealing money on video from the concessions stands at MHS. I believe his salary was $80K/year at the time... BUM!

agentorange007 writes:

in response to mysterio:

I was referring to the director of Maryville City Schools.

Features