Fort Craig will close

Fort Craig School of Dynamic Learning will close. The Maryville City School Board voted Tuesday night to close Fort Craig school. Four of the five school board members voted for the closure. School Board member Bethany Pope, a Fort Craig parent, abstained. The board also voted to change the grade configuration of Maryville schools, putting 4th through 7th grades together in two Intermediate schools and combining 8th and 9th grades into Middle school, which will help relieve overcrowding at Maryville High School.

© 2011 blounttoday.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• Discuss

Comments » 9

Manfrommaryville writes:

The school board has made a short sighted, close minded decision that is going to INCREASE overall costs & has the potential to introduce a lot of new problems and they made it clear that they don't want input or help from their constituants. If the board refuses to listen to ideas from the public & businesses then the entire system is in danger. I would suggest that they implement term limits for the school board but since they don't listen to public input it wouldn't do any good.

MrBuds writes:

in response to Manfrommaryville:

I prepared myself for this meeting 2 years ago when Stephanie Thompson ousted Mr. Carter and brought in Dr. Best. The rumors started flying then about her "Master Plan" to close Fort Craig as a school of choice and zone it. I hoped that those rumors were just that, rumors. Tonights meeting made them a reality. Anyone who has been close to the subject as long as we have has that knowledge and cannot be fooled by this "budget" charade. I acknowledge that our budget is strapped and their is no question that the high school is in dire need of relief, but the reasons they are giving for wanting Fort Craig closed to open Coulter Grove are just a convenient excuse to zone the school!

sunshine writes:

We should be watching very carefully to see what other budget items are cut. If they cut funding to the schools before eliminating the $250,000 spent on supplements for coaches for EXTRACURRICULAR activities, then we definitely know where their priorities lie.

agentorange007 writes:

I am patiently waiting for the "Fort Craig hand picks its students" and "they get more funds" mythmongers to show up, so I can pounce upon their misconceptions.

I am also going to patiently wait for the next two school board elections and will strongly support any candidate who is forward thinking, unbiased, visionary, open minded and independent.

In the meantime, I am going to vote with my dollars when it comes to cars, boats, contractors, and CPA's.

sunshine writes:

in response to agentorange007:

I hope we get some good candidates. And we, too, are voting with our dollars.

tennessee7 writes:

there is no leadership in Maryville/Blount County and there hasn't been for quite awhile. Good thing Maryville College is here and the airport; otherwise this would be a pretty sad little community.

POLITICALLYNEUTRAL writes:

IT can only be a school of choice if everyone can choose to go there. I wish someone would post the application for Ft Craig. It is plain as the ink on the paper that the application is designed as a "weed out" form. Also we are raising children with little or no "grit." For the interloping carpet baggin sycophantic people on this site that means that kids have no intestinal fortitude these days and schools like Ft. Craig that cater to the kids that can't deal with the real world quit your crying. Your side lost get over it and move on. It told me all I needed to know about the Ft. Craig parents at the last school board meeting when they all walked out when they did not get The Ft. Craig way. Man (or Woman) up and move on for your own good and the good of the school system.

sunshine writes:

in response to POLITICALLYNEUTRAL:

What were the questions on the application that signified "weed out" form? Anyone could go to Fort Craig if they live in the city of Maryville. If transportation was an issue, they could have easily run a shuttle bus from the other elementary schools to Fort Craig. But the city schools would not allow it.
I was told the Fort Craig supporters walked out because the school board didn't even pretend to address any alternatives to closing Fort Craig. They didn't leave in a huff so much as a protest against lack of process. Proper procedures-something the schools and board evidently need a refresher course on re violation of the sunshine laws in Nov 2010.

sunshine writes:

in response to POLITICALLYNEUTRAL:

Also, I grew up right here in Murvul. Born at Blount Memorial Hospital. Since when is school the real world? In what world do you live only with people the same age as you?
My kids are very tough and independent. They think for themselves and have a very low tolerance for the bull people like you dish out.

Features