As fall turns into winter holidays at the Blount County Public Library, events and services reflect some of the happenings in the community. Especially to assist businesses with current data pertinent for marketing, sales information and data collection, the Blount County Chamber of Commerce and the library will present a demonstration at the Chamber of “ReferenceUSA, an online database available for free through the library’s website. In preparation for the upcoming bicentennial of the War of 1812, Tennessee State Museum curator will discuss Tennessee’s role in that war. Following the November 2 election, Andy Simon will present a program about Election History Memorabilia, and the 8th annual Tellabration! celebration of storytelling will come to the library.
And then the Holiday Concert Season begins at the Library! As a preview of this year’s performance of Handel’s Messiah at the Clayton Center, Alan Eleazer will relate some of the historical and musical background of that oratorio while some of the singers will perform excerpts from the production.
Implementing probably the most variety of types of music yet presented, the holiday season promises to bring joyful celebration with the Maryville Dulcimer Club, Rejoice Ladies Choir, Foothills Quartet, Evensong and Asagao Handbell Choirs, performances by area school choirs and a performance by the Maryville College Preparatory Piano program.
If you haven’t done so already, be sure to check out the wonderful assortment of online services and databases available through the library website (www.blountlibrary.org ): an online historic Blount County and Smoky Mountain photo collection.
Especially in times of economic stress, the library becomes an even better bargain, worth more to you as a user, because almost all services, resources and events…are FREE!
• Monday, Nov. 1, 7 p.m., “Becoming the Volunteer State: the Bi-centennial of the War of 1812,” will be presented by Myers Brown, Curator of Extension Services at the Tennessee State Museum. Brown will discuss the significance of Tennessee’s role in the War of 1812 and will share previews of events and exhibits that will occur across the state of Tennessee during the war’s bi-centennial observance. The presentation will be in the Sharon Lawson Room.
• Thursday, Nov. 4, 7 p.m. “Tellabration! Storytelling for the Entire Family” by Faye Wooden, well-known Blount County and Native American storyteller. The program will be in Dorothy Herron B Meeting Room.
• Saturday, Nov. 6, 10 a.m., “Imagination Library Fifth Anniversary Celebration.” All children and their parents who are eligible or who have ever participated in Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library program by receiving books are invited to the fifth anniversary celebration at the Blount County Public Library along with their parents. Hosted by the Maryville Kiwanis Club, the ceremony will recognize five of the first enrollees in Blount County as well as several newborns whose parents have just enrolled them in the program. Free refreshments will be available. The program will be held in the Reading Rotunda of the library.
• Thursday, Nov. 11, “Library Closed” in honor of Veterans’ Day.
• Monday, Nov. 15, 7 p.m., “U.S. and State Election History and Memorabilia” presentation by Andy Simon. See one of the Florida Hanging Chad Voting Machines.
6 p.m., Free Appraisal of Election Memorabilia brought by the public.
7 p.m., Presentation: “U.S. and State Election History and Memorabilia.”
• Tuesday, Nov. 16, 7:30 to 9 a.m., “Business Before Breakfast: Using ReferenceUSA for Critical Business Decisions,” will be a seminar presented by Rick White at the Blount County Chamber of Commerce. Businesses access ReferenceUSA daily for data to support critical business decisions: both business to business and business to consumer marketing and sales information. Pre-registration is required by contacting Kathy DeLozier at the Chamber at 983-2241 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
• Tuesday, Nov. 16, 5:30 p.m., “Blount County Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting,” in the Board Room.
• Thursday and Friday, Nov. 25 and 26, “Library Closed” for Thanksgiving Holiday
• Tuesday, November 9, 7 p.m., “Meet Matthew and Jeanine Wilkinson Cello Concert,” will be a concert to invite the community to meet the new Maryville High School orchestra director and his wife who are both cellists who have performed with various symphony orchestras. The concert will be in the Reading Rotunda of the library.
• Thursday, November 18, 7 p.m., “Maryville Dulcimer Club,” will perform their premier concert, a combination of traditional music and holiday tunes, in the library’s Reading Rotunda.
• Monday, November 22, 6 p.m., “Handel’s Messiah: Historical Background and Musical Excerpts,” by Alan Eleazer and soloists from the Maryville Community Chorus and the Maryville College Chorus. Eleazer will share the history of Handel’s Messiah while singers from this year’s choruses will perform excerpts in the Reading Rotunda of the library.
• Monday, November 29, 7 p.m., “Rejoice Ladies Choir,” directed by Dana Huskey, will perform a holiday concert in the Reading Rotunda of the library.
• Tuesday, November 30, 7 p.m., “The Foothills Quartet and Friends,” will perform a concert consisting of a combination of gospel, carols and holiday music in the Reading Rotunda of the library.
November 2010 • Phone: 273-1436
• Saturdays, 10 a.m. until 3 p.m., “Play Chess at the Library: Every Saturday.” Middle and high school students are invited to play chess with friends. Tom Jobe will coach most Saturdays in the Teen Central area of the library.
• Saturday, Nov. 18, 4 p.m., “Teens Write Now.” With other teens, enjoy writing and exercises to improve writing skills! This writing group will meet in the Board Room in the meeting room hallway of the library.
Exhibits: November 1-30 Exhibits
• “Maryville Christian School Student Art” Exhibit on the Art Panels at the Reading Rotunda end of the Main Gallery.
• “Blount County Arts and Crafts Guild,” coordinated by Gloria Nelson, on the Art Wall at the Bookmark Café and on two easels in sitting areas of the Main Gallery.
• “Blount County Arts and Crafts Guild 3-D Arts and Crafts” Exhibit coordinated by Dixie Porter in one vertical case in the Entry Rotunda of the library.
• “Handmade Porcelain Dolls” Exhibit by Joyce Mathews, in one vertical cases in the Entry Rotunda of the library.
• “Cuba” Exhibit by Cheryl Baker in two square pedestal cases in the Entry Rotunda of the Blount County Public Library.
• “Banned Books” Exhibit by Holly Pickett in one easel space in sitting areas of the Main Gallery.
• “Blount County Friends of the Library” Exhibit by Larry Moore, in two display cases in the mid-gallery area of the library, across from the Bookmark Café, and on one easel in the sitting area of the Main Gallery.
• “Child Birth Options” Exhibit by Nancy Lantz in one square pedestal cases in the Entry Rotunda of the Blount County Public Library.
• “Thanksgiving Tribute” Exhibit by Reference staff, in the Genealogy Display Case in the Genealogy/Reference area of the library.
• “Kite Display” exhibit, sponsored by Fine Arts Blount and Suzanne Stockfisch, on bamboo canes in freestanding “buckets” in the Main Gallery of the Library.
• “Circulation” exhibit by Circulation staff on shelves behind counters of the Circulation Desks and on New Books shelves in the Main Gallery of the Library.
Computer Classes: Free two-hour classes. First six persons to arrive can attend class. Call or come by the Reference Desk at 273-1436 for schedule of classes or if there are questions.
• Thursday, November 4, 2 - 4 p.m., “Introduction to PC - Meet the Mouse” in the Board Room.
• Thursday, November 18, 2 - 4 p.m., “Email,” in the Board Room.
November 2010 • Phone: 273-1414
• Saturday, Nov. 6, 10 a.m., “Imagination Library Fifth Anniversary Celebration.” All children and their parents who are eligible or who have ever participated in Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library program by receiving books are invited to the fifth anniversary celebration at the Blount County Public Library along with their parents. Hosted by the Maryville Kiwanis Club, the ceremony will recognize five of the first enrollees in Blount County as well as several newborns whose parents have just enrolled them in the program. Free refreshments will be available. The program will be held in the Reading Rotunda
• Saturday, November 13, 11 am, Telebration! 2010, for elementary aged children and their parents will be presented in the Reading Pond. Storytellers performing will be Millie Sieber, Janice Brooks-Headrick, and Lovella Richardson from the Smoky Mountain Storytellers Association.
Free and open to the public, the program is at the Blount County Public Library, located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville.
For further information about other library programs or services, call the library at 982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blountlibrary.org.