Bob Miller, spokesman for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, said Aug. 11 that Interior Secretary Ken Salazar will attend the rededication on Wednesday, Sept. 2, at Newfound Gap.
“While we have received word that the Secretary will attend, the Park has not received any direct communication from either the White House or The Department of Interior regarding the President’s attendance.”
In accordance with the plans for the rededication, the Park announced road and trail closures for anniversary event at Newfound Gap.
• Newfound Gap Road will be closed from the gat at Sugarland’s Visitor’s Center to the gate at Smokemont from sunset on Tuesday, Sept. 1, through 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 2.
• The Clingmans Dome Road will be closed at the gate at Newfound Gap Road from sunset on Tuesday, Sept. 1, through 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 2.
• The Newfound Gap and Oconaluftee overlook parking lots will be closed to all parking from sunset on Monday, Aug. 31, through 8 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 3.
• The Clingmans Dome parking lot will be closed to all overnight parking from sunset on Monday, Aug. 31, through 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 2.
• All facilities reached by Newfound Gap and Clingmans Dome roads such as the Collins Creek and Chimneys picnic areas as well as trailheads along the roads will be closed concurrent with the road closures.