The Sam Davis #647 Chapter, Children of the Confederacy, commemorated Confederate History Month by placing a wreath at the Bethel Confederate Cemetery in Knoxville.
The cemetery, located on Bethel Avenue and down the road from the Mabry-Hazen House contains more than 1,600 Confederate dead, including 300 soldiers who were killed in the battle of Fort Sanders. Although the names of many of those killed are known, all are buried in unmarked graves. In addition, around 50 Union soldiers who died in hospital and 20 Confederate Veterans are interred here. The monument to the Confederate dead was erected by the Ladies Memorial Association and was unveiled on May 19, 1892.
The cemetery was cared for and maintained by the Winstead family for a number of years, and the last private owner, Miss Mamie Winstead who died in 1989, willed the cemetery to the Mabry-Hazen Historical Museum Foundation.
The white frame house located on the property was built in 1886 due to efforts of the second sexton of the property, William H. Winstead, a Confederate veteran who lost his leg in the Battle of Gettysburg. In addition to the children, UDC members from Knoxville #89 and Captain W.Y.C. Hannum Chapter 1881 of Maryville, joined in the memorialization of the unknown dead.