Married to Leah McClanahan Flynn
Occupation: Project Manager for Joseph Construction
• What was your first paying job?
“Working on a jobsite as a fill-in for Cookie Zappa at Joseph Construction answering phones and doing paperwork. My grandfather, Charles Hatcher got me the job and was my first boss. If there was ever someone to make sure you were doing a job correctly, I was working under the right person.”
• If you could do one impulsive thing, unrestricted by cost, what would it be?
“I would love to take a mega-yacht with full crew on a World Cruise and have friends and family join me all along the way.”
• What’s your favorite television or movie quote?
“‘I don’t know if we each have a destiny, or if we are just floatin’ around accidental-like on a breeze. But I, I think maybe it’s both.’ From ‘Forrest Gump.’”
• What are you guilty of?
“Lately, it would be taking too many trips to Las Vegas.”
• What is one thing you have always wanted to do but haven’t?
“Fly an airplane.”
• Do you think there is life on other planets?
“I think the possibility exists.”
• What is your favorite material possession?
“Currently, it would be the boat that Leah and I recently purchased. I spent time when I was young on the water with my uncles and have been wanting one for a while.”
• What are you reading currently?
“‘A Pirate Looks at Fifty,’ by Jimmy Buffett.”
• Who has been the most influential person in the 20th century?
“I would have to say Franklin Delano Roosevelt and America’s Greatest Generation for their enduring spirit.”
• What was your most embarrassing moment?
“Last year, I went to the Indy 500 and was responsible for the tickets. We had the whole trip planned out so well. However, after arriving at the Speedway and parking, I realized that I had left the tickets in the hotel room. It was quite embarrassing to tell the group of guys I was with that we had to make the long trek back and repeat the last half hour of driving, twice.”
• What is one word others often use to describe you and why?
“Dependable. I always try to follow through.”
• When you were 5 years old, what did you want to be when you grew up?
“A fighter pilot. My room was filled with airplanes from an early age.”
• If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
“To become a more patient person.”
• What is your passion?
“Socializing. People seem to energize me.”
• With whom, living or dead, would you most like to have a long lunch?
“My grandfather Olin Flynn. He was taken from us quickly, and I wish I had spent more time with him.”
• What do you hate?
“Snakes. I have never been a big fan and try my best to avoid them at all costs.”
• What is your all-time favorite movie?
“ ‘Top Gun.’ This was the first movie I can remember purchasing on VHS, and I still have it in its original box.”
• What is the best book you’ve ever read?
“‘Catcher in the Rye,’ by J.D. Salinger.”
• Would you travel in space?
“Yes, but I would have to have the controls. I am not a good passenger.”
• If you could go back in time for a week, what time period or year would you visit?
“The late 1920s, just prior to the Great Depression. The country would have been so alive after coming through the first World War and being in such economic prosperity.”
• What character in a book or movie would you most like to be?
“The original James Bond - Sir Sean Connery.”
• What is the best present you ever received in a box?
“My smoker given to me by my wife.”
• What is the best advice your mother ever gave you?
“Be yourself and let people make their own judgments.”
• Did you ever get paddled in school and if so, why?
“No. I normally tried to talk my way out of trouble.”
• Who is your hero?
“My Dad. He has always been a strong role model for myself and my brother. He has always tried to help anyone he could, in any way that they needed help. The world needs more people willing to help each other out.”
• What was your first car?
“A 1996 Pontiac Sunfire given to me by my parents on Christmas morning.”
• What’s your favorite all time song?
“ ‘One Particular Harbor,’ by Jimmy Buffett. Jimmy has never recorded this song as a studio track and only released the song on live albums.”
• Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
“Half-full, and I have already asked for a refill.”