Libraries aren’t just about books any more. Nor are they the quiet, solemn places they used to be, and Blount County Public Library is certainly no exception.
Music, drama, speakers, new authors, genealogy research, Internet searching and e-mail, computer classes, video and DVDs, CDs, AARP tax preparation assistance, Bible family records photographed by the Daughters of the American Revolution, new voter registration by the League of Women Voters and more are all available at the library this month.
EVENTS Lectures, Speakers, Workshops
• Thursday, March 27, 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturday, March 29 from 1 to 3 p.m., “Bring Family Records from Bibles Published before 1930 for Daughters of American Revolution (DAR), Blount County Chapter, to Copy,” in the Genealogy Department.
• Any time until April 15, “Sign up for appointment for free AARP Tax Preparation” by calling the library Reference Desk at 865-982-0981, Ext. 4, or 865-273-1436. Call the above numbers for more information.
EXHIBITS: March 1-31
• “Alcoa High School Student Art” exhibit by students of Minda Cedeño on art wall at the library’s Bookmark Café and on art panels at the Reading Rotunda.
• “Ceramics” art exhibit by Maryville High School students of Jeanie Parker in three cubes in the Entry Rotunda.
• “Outstanding Women of America and Blount County” exhibit on two easels in sitting areas of the Main Gallery.
• “Tremont Summer Camps” exhibit by Great Smoky Mountain Institute at Tremont (Kent Jones) in two vertical cases in the Entry Rotunda.
• “See the USA…’60s Style” exhibit by Nancy Underwood in two display cases in the Main Gallery.
• “Irish Connections” exhibit by Reference Department in genealogy display case near the reference #2 desk.
• “Blount County Arts & Crafts Guild Member Artwork” exhibit on two easels in sitting areas of the Main Gallery.
• Display by Circulation Department on circulation desk cabinets and new books shelves in the Main Gallery.
Unless otherwise indicated, all children’s programs are in the children’s library. Phone: 865-273-1414
Join the library’s year-long celebration to “Discover the Joy of Reading”
• Thursday, March 27, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., new Kids’ Studio Art Class, offered by YEStudio (Youthful Expressions Studio) as a free community service project. This monthly art class will usually be offered on the third Thursday of each month. Children ages 7-12 may sign-up at the Children’s Check-out Desk for the class. There is a limit of 12 people per class with different students each month. Classes will include colored pencil drawing, watercolors, and pastels.
• Saturday, March 29, 3 p.m., new Italian Story Hour, featuring stories and activities, will be presented by a community volunteer for elementary aged children. Elementary aged children may sign-up at the Children’s Check-out Desk to help build an estimate of group size.
Monthly Surprise Display will be showcased in the children’s library office window. The monthly topic will not be publicized, but children can guess the theme by reading clues on the library’s website, www.blountlibrary.org. Visit the children’s library to see if you guessed the correct display topic.
Foreign Language Story Hours: Community volunteers will present bilingual stories and crafts for all interested children. Please call the library to verify that story hour will be held as scheduled:
• Saturday, March 29, 3 p.m., Italian Story Hour.
Elementary Age Activities:
• Fiction Favorites - Kids’ Reviews. Read juvenile fiction books, write and share reviews. Find book review forms and logs in Children’s Reference area.
• Tuesdays, 4 p.m., Serendipity Activities, grades K-6, in Children’s Library. Sign up in Children’s Library to participate with new crafts.
• Wednesdays, 4 p.m., Library Skills Workshops are offered quarterly to teach proper use of the Dewey Decimal System, reference, online computer research, and book location. Watch for announcements of dates for the next session.
• Colorful Thursdays offer fun and education for kids who love to color. Coloring pages with crayons, markers, and colored pencils are available at the children’s activity tables all day and evening from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. each Thursday.
Pre-School Story Hours and Crafts in Children’s Library Reading Pond
March Story Hour Theme: “Get a Clue”
• Tuesdays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #1, ages 3-5 years
• Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m., Pillows and PJs, Bedtime Pre-K
• Wednesdays, 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., Pooh Pals, ages 2 and under
• Fridays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #2, ages 3-5 years
All programs are free and open to the public. The Blount County Public Library is located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville. For more information about other library programs or services, call 865-982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blountlibrary.org.