“READ!...the rest of the story” debuted on June 2. In addition to an exciting series of programs and speakers, participants can sign up to read books and win prizes. By sampling a variety of book topics and genres, readers can complete a line of Bingo on a “READ!” card and earn the privilege of entering a drawing on Mondays at 6:30 p.m. for weekly prizes such as book bags, mugs, book marks and book lights. At the conclusion of the program, Monday, August 4, there will be a grand prize drawing for a jam-packed book bag, full of goodies to delight any book lover.
In addition, “Find What’s Out There @ the Library,” the teen summer reading program sign-ups began on May 31, and the kick-off for the children’s summer reading program, “Starship Adventure @ the Library,” will be Saturday, June 7.
Meanwhile, a summer of varied reading promises to bring an added dimension of joy for anyone wanting to “READ!...the rest of the story.”
• Saturday, June 7, noon - 1 p.m., “Blast from the Past Music Extravaganza” by Pistol Creek Catch of the Day musical group, for the Children’s Summer Reading Blast-Off, in the Reading Rotunda.
• Coming in August: Thursdays in August, 7 p.m., “Hot Summer Nights Concerts series.”
• Monday, July 28, 6:30 p.m., “Merchant of Venice,” Shakespearean drama presented by the Tennessee Stage Company outdoors on the library front lawn. Bring chairs.
EVENTS - Lectures, Speakers, Workshops:
• Mondays, June 9 through August 4, 6:30 p.m., Weekly prize drawings, with final grand prize drawing on August 4. All persons who register in the Adult Summer Reading Program are eligible to enter the drawings. Sign up at Circulation check-in or check-out desks. Weekly prizes include bookmarks, library mugs, café gift certificates and Blount County Public Library book bags.
• Tuesday, June 10, 7 p.m., “Natural Histories: Stories from the Tennessee Valley,” by Stephen Lyn Bales, author and illustrator of the book and naturalist at Ijams Nature Center in Knoxville, Tennessee. This program will be presented in the Sharon Lawson Room.
• Monday, June 16, 7 p.m., “Digital Photography: Is It as Good as Film?” by Lynn Freeny, Department of Energy Photographer, will discuss and compare digital and film photography and will show slides. This program will be in the Sharon Lawson Room.
• Tuesday, June 17, 6 p.m., Blount County Public Library Board of Trustees meet in the Board Room.
• Thursday through Sunday, June 19 - 22, Edible Book Contest exhibits, Main Gallery.
• Tuesday, June 17: All Edible Book Contest entry forms must be received at the library. Entry forms are available at the library or at www.blountlibrary.org, under ‘programs.’
• Thursday, June 19, 3 - 6:30 p.m: All Edible Book Contest entries must be received at the library. Judging will take place that evening. Entries will be exhibited in the Main Gallery of the library through Sunday, June 22.
• Sunday, June 22, 3 p.m: The award presentation for Edible Book Contest. Cash prizes will be awarded, with first, second and third prizes of $100, $50 and $25 in the categories of Juvenile (ages 8-12 years old), Young Adult / Teens (13-19 years old), and Adult (20+ years old), Plus special prizes of $100 each for Creativity, Humor, Judges’ Choice and Viewers’ Choice. Entries in a fifth category, Professional, will not be eligible for cash awards, but entrants may have their business cards or names displayed with the entry. The decision of the judges is final. Cash prizes are supplied by the Friends of the Blount County Library. The awards ceremony will occur in the Main Gallery of the Library.
• Tuesday, June 24, “Friends of the Library Annual Meeting” in the Sharon Lawson Room,
• Thursday, June 26, 7 p.m., “Fun & Fit Families,” with Blount Memorial Wellness Center staff, Leslie Rutherford, executive director, Angie Stewart, dietitian, Tommie Curtis, program manger, and Chad Hodson, fitness coordinator. A program showing practical and fun tips for keeping families of all ages healthy and fit, will also offer suggestions for easy ways to maintain good nutrition at meal-times for families on the go. The program will be in the Sharon Lawson Room.
• Monday, June 30, 7 p.m., “Behind the Scenes: The Making of a Blount County Heartland Episode,” by television host, Bill Landry, WBIR TV, in the Sharon Lawson Room.
• “Art, Media & Styles” art classes for teens, led by Lyda Plemons, artist, in Dorothy Herron Room A. Pre-registration required with art supply fee of $10. Pre-register and pay fee at the Reference Desk of the library. The first 12 to register can take the classes.
• Saturday, June 14, 2 - 4 p.m., “How We Use Art,” by Lyda Plemons, artist, in Dorothy Herron Room A.
• Saturday, June 21, 2 - 4 p.m., “The Joy of Learning to Draw,” by Lyda Plemons, artist.
• Saturday, June 28, 2 - 4 p.m., “Watercolor and Nature,” by Lyda Plemons, artist.
EXHIBITS: June 1-30
• “Metal Welded Creations” by Jeff Robinson on the Art Wall at the Bookmark Café.
• “READ!...the rest of the story, Adult Summer Reading Program Exhibit” by Blount County Public Library staff, in one cube and one vertical case in Entry Rotunda and rotating book display exhibits on Circulation Desk Cabinets and New Books Shelves in the Main Gallery and on art panels at Reading Rotunda.
• “Find Out What’s There @ the Library, Teen Summer Reading Program Exhibit” by Blount County Public Library staff, in one cube in Entry Rotunda.
• “Starship Adventure @ Your Library, Children’s Summer Reading Program Exhibit” by Blount County Public Library staff, in one cube in Entry Rotunda and in the Children’s Library.
• “African-American Quilt” exhibit by Rosa Tillis, in two display cases in the Main Gallery.
• The walls of the Sunshine Room in the Children’s Library.
• “Family and Community Education Exhibit” by Debbie Hodge, in one vertical display case in the Entry Rotunda.
• “Family History: Stephenson, Steele & Barnett” exhibit by Elaine Russell, in the Genealogy display case at Reference.
• “Blount County Arts & Crafts Guild Member Artwork” Exhibit on two easels in sitting areas of the Main Gallery.
COMPUTER CLASSES: Free two-hour classes. First six persons to arrive can attend class. Call or come by the Reference Desk at 865-273-1436 for schedule of classes or if there are questions.
• “Intro to PC: Meet the Mouse,” in the Board Room: Thursday, June 19, 2 - 4 p.m.
• “E-Mail,” in the Board Room: Thursday, June 5, 2 - 4 p.m.; Saturday, June 21, 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.; Thursday, June 26, 2 - 4 p.m.
• “Internet: Use of the Internet & Internet Searching,” in the Board Room: Thursday, June 12, 2 - 4 p.m.
BOOK DISCUSSION GROUP:
June Book: “Returning to Earth” by Jim Harrison
Place: Library Board Room
Date: June 11 (2nd Wednesday of each month)
Time: 10:30 a.m.
CHILDREN’S PROGRAMS: Call 865-273-1414 (Unless otherwise indicated, all children’s programs are in the Children’s Library)
“Starship Adventure @ Your Library,” the 2008 Tennessee Children’s Summer Reading Program will be celebrated throughout June and July. The program is sponsored by the Tennessee State Library & Archives, Tennessee Library Association Children’s/Young Adult Roundtable, Blount County Public Library, and The Friends of the Library
• Saturday, June 7, 10:30 a.m. - 1 p.m., “Starship Adventure Blast-Off,” Sign-up for the Summer Reading Club begins in the Children’s Library and Main Gallery.
• 10:30 a.m., “Storytime with Jasper the Rooster (Mascot of the Tennessee Valley Fair). Stories and fun in the Sharon Lawson Room.
• 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., “Cosmic Costume Party.” Wear your best space-themed costume-for example: aliens, astronauts, moon men, stars, robots, etc., in the Children’s Library.
• 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., “Cosmic Crafts and Spacey Games,” in the Children’s Library.
• 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., “Face Painting” with Faces Gone Wild, in the Main Gallery.
• noon - 1 p.m., “Milky Way Café” will provide out-of-this-world Tasty Treats, in the Main Gallery and Reading Rotunda.
• noon - 1 p.m., “Blast from the Past Music Extravaganza” by Pistol Creek Catch of the Day musical group, in the Reading Rotunda.
• Saturday, June 14, 2 p.m., “Solar System Show” with Paul Lewis of the U. T. Outreach, in the Sharon Lawson Room.
• Saturday, June 21, 11 a.m - 2 p.m., “Skating with the Stars” field trip. Meet at Smoky Mountain Skate Center for skating and refreshments. (Children age 12 and under may sign-up and receive free ticket at Children’s Library Check-out desk June 15-20.)
• Saturday, June 28, 11 a.m., “Magician Scott Humston” in the Sharon Lawson Room.
• Saturday, July 12, 11 a.m., “Heritage Planetarium Field Trip.” Families meet at the planetarium for the special space program. (Limit 67 people. Sign-up and receive tickets at children’s check-out desk July 7-11.)
• Saturday, July 19, 11 a.m., “Go Wild!” with Sandi Schulte. Fun entertainment with puppets, magic and more, in the Sharon Lawson Room.
• Wednesday, July 23, 1 p.m., “Rocket Ride to Reading” with Magician, Bruce Amato, in the Sharon Lawson Meeting Room.
• Saturday, July 26, 11 a.m., “Planet Earth Animals” presented by Knoxville Zoomobile in the Sharon Lawson Room.
Monthly Surprise Display will be showcased in the children’s library office window. The monthly topic will not be publicized, but children can guess the theme by reading clues on the library’s website, www.blountlibrary.org. Visit the children’s library to see if you guessed the correct display topic.
Elementary Age Activities:
• Fiction Favorites - Kids’ Reviews. Read Juvenile Fiction books, write and share reviews. Find book review forms and logs in Children’s Reference area.
• Sundays, Family Game Day. Families with children of all ages can enjoy a fun-filled afternoon of board games, puzzles, hopscotch, toddler bowling, play huts, and more.
• Tuesdays, 4 p.m., Serendipity Activities, Grades K-6, in Children’s Library. Sign up in Children’s Library to participate with new crafts.
• June 10, Grades K-2, Wooden space shuttle
• June 17, Grades 3-6, Velvet space picture
• June 24, Grades K-2, Space posters
• Wednesdays, 4 p.m., Library Skills Workshops are offered quarterly to teach proper use of the Dewey Decimal System, Reference, Online Computer Research, and book location.
• Thursday, June 12, 2-5 p.m., Serendipity Activities with surplus crafts, Grades K-6, in Children’s Library.
• Thursday, June 19, 6:30-7:30 p.m., new kids’ studio art class, offered by YEStudio (Youthful Expressions Studio) as a free community service project. This monthly art class will usually be offered on the third Thursday of each month. Children ages 7-12 may sign-up at the children’s check-out desk for the class. Limit of 12 people per class/different students each month. Classes will include colored pencil drawing, watercolors, and pastels.
• Colorful Thursdays offer fun and education for kids who love to color. Coloring pages with crayons, markers, and colored pencils are available at the children’s activity tables all day and evening (9 a.m. to 9 p.m.) each Thursday.
• Thursdays, 4 p.m., Treasure Hunts are themed book searches and games where children follow the clues to the treasure box. Book search will resume in September.
Pre-School Story Hours and Crafts in Children’s Library Reading Pond
June Story Hour Theme: “Starship Adventure @ Your Library”
• Tuesdays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #1, Ages 3-5 years
• Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m., Pillows and PJs, Bedtime Pre-K
• Wednesdays, 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., Pooh Pals, Ages 2 and under
• Fridays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #2, Ages 3-5 years
All programs are free and open to the public. The Blount County Public Library is located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville. For more information about other library programs or services, call 865-982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blountlibrary.org.
To print a one-page monthly calendar of events at the library, go to the library Web site at www.blountlibrary.org, click on “Programs and Events” and then click on “Click here to view the monthly calendar of events in printable format” or sign up to receive a monthly calendar by e-mail by scrolling down and clicking on email@example.com and putting “subscribe” in the subject line.