• Thursday, Jan. 24, 7 p.m., “Out Live, Out Laugh, Out Love,” by Tina Wesson, Survivor Australia winner from Knoxville, with books for sale and book signing, in the Sharon Lawson Room.
• Monday, Jan. 28, 7 p.m., “Clutter Free and Organized: Conquer Paper Piles,” by Mary Pankiewicz, author of “Clutter Free and Organized,” in the Sharon Lawson Room.
EXHIBITS: January 1-31
• William Blount High School art exhibit by students of Doris Poppelreiter on art panels at the Reading Rotunda of the Main Gallery.
• David Lyons Photography exhibit by David Lyons on art wall at library’s Bookmark Café.
• Maryville High School Ceramics exhibit by students of Jeanie Parker in one vertical case in the Entry Rotunda.
• Blount County Arts and Crafts Guild Member Artwork exhibit on two easels in sitting areas of the Main Gallery.
• Blount County Beekeepers exhibit by Blount County Beekeepers Association and Dennis Barry, in two cubes in the Entry Rotunda.
• Native American Artifacts exhibit by Junior Banks and Howard McNabb in one display case in the Main Gallery.
• Greenback Castle exhibit by Junior Banks and Howard McNabb in one display case in the Main Gallery.
• Becoming Vegetarian exhibit by Kathy Daschke in one vertical case in the Entry Rotunda.
• People Promoting Animal Welfare (PPAW) exhibit by Debbie Searfoss in one cube in the Entry Rotunda.
• Frogs exhibit by Jessica Johnson in Genealogy display case at the Reference Desk.
• Winter Holidays display by Circulation Department on Circulation desk cabinets and new books shelves in the Main Gallery.
COMPUTER CLASSES: Free two-hour classes. First six people to arrive can attend class. Call or visit the Reference Desk for a schedule or questions..
• Thursday, Jan. 24, 2 to 4 p.m., “E-Mail,” in the Board Room.
• Thursday, Jan. 31, 2 to 4 p.m., “Internet,” in the Board Room.
• Thursday, Feb. 21, 2 to 4 p.m., “Internet,” in the Board Room.
n Thursday, Feb. 28, 2 to 4 p.m., “Intro to PC: Meet the Mouse,” in the Board Room.
Unless otherwise indicated, all children’s programs are in the children’s library.
Join the library’s year-long celebration to “Discover the Joy of Reading.”
Monthly Surprise Display: - will be showcased in the children’s library office window. The monthly topic will not be publicized, but children can guess the theme by reading clues on the library’s Web site. Visit the children’s library to see if you guessed the correct display topic.
Elementary Age Activities:
• Fiction Favorites - Kids’ Reviews. Read juvenile fiction books, write and share reviews. Find book review forms and logs in Children’s Reference area.
• Sundays, Family Game Day. Families with children of all ages can enjoy a fun-filled afternoon of board games, puzzles, hopscotch, toddler bowling, play huts, and more.
• Tuesdays, 4 p.m., Serendipity Activities, Grades K-6, in Children’s Library. Sign up in Children’s Library to participate with new crafts.
• Jan.29 - Grades 3-6, Color joke bookmarks
• Thursday, Jan. 10, 3 to 5 p.m., Serendipity Activities with surplus crafts, Grades K-6, in Children’s Library.
• Colorful Thursdays offer fun and education for kids who love to color. Coloring pages with crayons, markers, and colored pencils are available at the children’s activity tables all day and evening from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. each Thursday.
• Thursdays, 4 p.m., Treasure Hunts are themed book searches and games where children follow the clues to the treasure box. Grades 5 and 6 meet Jan. 3, grades 3 and 4 meet Jan. 17 and grades 3 through 5 sign-up overflow group meets Jan. 24.
Pre-School Story Hours and Crafts in Children’s Library Reading Pond
January Story Hour Theme: “Snow Joking.”
• Tuesdays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #1, Ages 3-5 years
• Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m., Pillows and PJs, Bedtime Pre-K
• Wednesdays, 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., Pooh Pals, Ages 2 and under
• Fridays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #2, Ages 3-5 years
All programs are free and open to the public. The Blount County Public Library is located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville. For more information about other library programs or services, call 865-982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blountlibrary.org.
To print a one-page monthly calendar of events at the library, go to the library Web site at www.blountlibrary.org, click on “Programs and Events” and then click on “Click here to view the monthly calendar of events in printable format” or sign up to receive a monthly calendar by e-mail by scrolling down and clicking on email@example.com and putting “subscribe” in the subject line.