EVENTS Lectures, Speakers, Workshops
• “Blount County Public Library Board of Trustees” public meeting will convene in May.
• “Used Book Sale” by Friends of the Blount County Public Library in the lower level of the library.
• Monday, May 12, 7 p.m., “Wildflowers of Tennessee,” by author, Jack Carman, in the Dorothy Herron Rooms A & B.
EXHIBITS: April 1-30
• “Jennifer Leach Woodblock Prints Landscapes Art” exhibit by Nashville State Technical Community College Art Department professor on art wall at the library’s Bookmark Café.
• “Magical Moments” art exhibit by young adults at The Gates (Jo Bennett) freestanding cubes in the Entry Rotunda and panels on the back of magazine counters in the Main Gallery.
• “Blount Memorial Hospital Emotional Health & Recovery” art exhibit by Ray Evette in two vertical cases in the Entry Rotunda, Art panels at the Reading Rotunda and six easel spaces in sitting areas of the Main Gallery.
• “Smoky Mountain Pottery Festival” art exhibit by Smoky Mountains Visitors Center (Jeanie Hilten & Marian Schlauch) in three cubes in the Entry Rotunda.
• “Old Blount County Postcards” exhibit by Ken Cornett in two display cases in the Main Gallery and the Genealogy Case at the Reference Desk.
• “Blount County Arts & Crafts Guild Member Artwork” exhibit on two easels in sitting areas of the Main Gallery.
• Display by Circulation Department on circulation desk cabinets and new books shelves in the Main Gallery.
Foreign Language Story Hours: Community volunteers will present bilingual stories and crafts for all interested children. Please call the library to verify that story hour will be held as scheduled:
• Saturday, April 26, 3 p.m., Italian Story Hour.
Elementary Age Activities:
• Fiction Favorites - Kids’ Reviews. Read juvenile fiction books, write and share reviews. Find book review forms and logs in Children’s Reference area.
• Sundays, Family Game Day. Families with children of all ages can enjoy a fun-filled afternoon of board games, puzzles, hopscotch, toddler bowling, play huts, and more.
• Tuesdays, 4 p.m., Serendipity Activities, Grades K-6, in children’s library. Sign up in children’s library to participate with new crafts.
• April 29, Grades K-2, Bug sand painting
• Wednesdays, 4 p.m., Library Skills Workshops are offered quarterly to teach proper use of the Dewey Decimal System, reference, online computer research, and book location. Watch for announcements of dates for the next session.
• Thursday, April 24, 6:30-7:30 p.m., New kids’ studio art class, offered by YEStudio (Youthful Expressions Studio) as a free community service project. This monthly art class will usually be offered on the last Thursday of each month. Children ages 7-12 may sign-up at the children’s check-out desk for the class.
• Colorful Thursdays offer fun and education for kids who love to color. Coloring pages with crayons, markers, and colored pencils are available at the children’s activity tables all day and evening (9 a.m. - 9 p.m.) each Thursday.
• Thursdays, 4 p.m., Treasure Hunts are themed book searches and games where children follow the clues to the treasure box. The April Theme is “Book a Trip Around the World: Australia.” Sign-up at the children’s check-out desk.