The annual concerts for the Steve Kaufman Acoustic Kamp will be the last performances in historic Wilson Chapel on the campus of Maryville College. These concerts highlight the fantastic musicians who are teaching during the two weeks of the famed music instruction camp. These concerts are open to the public and are the highlight for many area visitors.
This is the twelfth year for the Steve Kaufman Acoustic Kamp, which began in 1996 as Steve Kaufmans Flatpicking Camp. For six years, it lasted only one week.
Over the years additional acoustic instruments have been added. For 2007 the Steve Kaufman Acoustic Kamp (Camp was converted to Kamp by those that attend) will be two weeks long. Our attendance has increased from just less than 200 participants to 600 over the two weeks. Musicians who come to provide instruction are from all the regions of the United States and Canada, England, Italy and Switzerland. Kamp pre-registration is required.
Our special Kamps are designed to gather musicians of all levels from around the globe with common goals of learning, playing, eating and sleeping music. Whether you are a beginners beginner or a seasoned professional, each Kamps classes and activities will inspire and challenge you. Our intent is to maintain a non-competitive, learning atmosphere that will encourage you to grow musically and seek out new ways of playing your instrument.
Steve has put together the strongest team of guitar, bass, fiddle, dobro (tm), banjo and mandolin instructors the world has to offer.
Over the years Steve Kaufman and Donna Dixon have received three consecutive Gold Players Choice Awards for Acoustic Guitar readers.
Monday through Saturday evening concerts are open to the public. Well-known musicians who come to provide instruction also give performances, giving local residents a rare opportunity to hear some of the best, as well as see new and exciting performances as musicians join together in an opportunity that isnt found at other performance venues.
This year the Kamp will bring in participants for Canada, Switzerland and South Africia. Nearly every state is represented including Hawaii and Alaska.
Camp dates are June 11-16 and June 18-23. All the concerts begin at 7 p.m. at Wilson Chapel Theater on the campus of Maryville College. Tickets are $13 in advance., $15 at the door.
More information can be found at www.acoustic-kamp.com
Steve Kaufmans Acoustic Kamp Concert Series
Wilson Chapel Theater
All concerts begin at 7:00 PM unless otherwise noted.
For advance tickets, call 865-983-3330 with Visa or Master Card, or visit the Palace Café, 113 West Harper St., Maryville.
- June 11 -Steve Kaufman, Curtis Burch, Evie Ladin, and Roy Curry.
- June 12 - Jamie Laval & Ashley Broder, Larry Cohen, Steve Kilby, and The Flatpicking Champ Jam.
- June 13 - Stephen Bennett, Stacy Phillips, Wayne Erbsen, and Pat Kirtley.
- June 14- Bruce Molsky, Mary Flower, Robin Kessinger, Rusty Holloway
- June 15 - Eddie Pennington, John Goldie, Mark Cosgrove, and Robert Shafer
- June 16 - Grasstowne, Steve Kaufman and Friends
- June 18 - Steve Kaufman, Steve Kilby, Adam Granger, and Casey Henry.
- June 19 -- Radim Zenkl, Jeff Jenkins, Ross Nickerson and Rolly Brown.
- June 20 - Alan Bibey, Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer, Murphy Henry, and Mike Kaufman.
- June 21 -- Eddie Collins, Emory Lester, Beppe Gambetta, Dennis Caplinger and John Moore
- June 22 - Scott Nygaard, Butch Baldassari, Tony McManus, John Carlini, Don Stiernberg and Pat Cloud.
- June 23 - Blue Highway, Steve Kaufman and Friends