- Tuesday, May 22, 6 p.m., "Blount County Public Library Board of
Trustees Meeting," in the Board Room.
- Monday, May 28, Library closed in honor of Memorial Day.
- Friday, June 1, Sign Up Begins for the Summer Teen Reading Program
(June 1 through July 31). Teens (grades 6-12) are invited to the
library to sign up at the Genealogy Reference Desk for participation in
the program to read books. There will be a weekly drawing for prizes
and a concluding party for all participants at the library along with a
drawing for the Grand Prize.
- May 1-31, Teen Bulletin Board on the bulletin board in the Teen area of the Library.
May 1-31 Exhibits:
- "A New Creation" Portraits Art Exhibit" by Jonathan Howe, Senior
Art Student & 2007 Graduate of Maryville College, on Art Wall at
librarys Bookmark Café.
- "25th Anniversary 1982 Worlds Fair" exhibit by Nancy
Underwood in 2 Display Cases in the Main Gallery.
- "Tennessee Postal History" exhibit by Barry VanWinkle in Reference
Department Genealogy Display Case at the Reference Desk.
- "Blount County Arts & Crafts Guild Member Artwork" on two
easels in Sitting Areas of the Main Gallery.
- "Daniel Jenkins Art Exhibit" display on five easels in the Sitting
Areas of the Main Gallery of the library.
- Display by Circulation Department on Circulation Desk Cabinets and
New Books Shelves in the Main Gallery.
Childrens Library: 865-273-1414. (Unless otherwise indicated, all childrens programs are in the childrens library)
Monthly Surprise Display will be showcased in the childrens library office window. The monthly topic will not be publicized, but children can guess the theme by reading clues on the librarys website. Visit the childrens library to see if you guessed the correct display topic.
Foreign Language Story Hours:
Community volunteers will present bilingual stories and crafts for all interested children.
- Saturday, May 26, 3 p.m., Amigos Spanish Story Hour. Additional
volunteer readers are being sought.
Elementary Age Activities:
- Fiction Favorites - Kids Reviews. Read Juvenile Fiction
books, write and share reviews. Find book review forms and logs in
Childrens Reference area.
- Mondays, 6 p.m., Funtabulous Family Game Night. Families with
children of all ages can enjoy a fun-filled evening of board games,
puzzles, hopscotch, toddler bowling, play huts, and more.
- Tuesdays, 4 p.m., Serendipity Activities, Grades K-6, in
Childrens Library. Sign up in Childrens Library to
- May 22 - Grades 3-6, Fish Banks
- May 29 - Grades K-2, Fishy Fuzzy Pictures
- Tuesday, May 29, 6:30 p.m., Chess Club, Elementary aged children
have the opportunity to challenge other young chess masters in a
- Wednesday, May 23, 4 p.m., Reading Zone Elementary Story Hour,
Grades K-2,. Story hour meets on the fourth Wednesday of each
- Wednesdays at 4 p.m., Library Skills Workshops. Must be a reader
and sign up in Childrens Library to participate. Learn Dewey
Decimal System and Computer Catalog Skills.
- Colorful Thursdays offer fun and education for kids who love to
color. Coloring pages with crayons, markers, and colored pencils are
available at the childrens activity tables all day and evening (9
a.m. to 9 p.m.) each Thursday.
- Thursday, May 24, 4 p.m., "Road Trip" Book Search for 3rd Grade, in
the Childrens Library. Please sign-up at the Childrens
- Friday, May 18, 4:30 p.m., Stamp Club for elementary aged
Pre-School Story Hours and Crafts in Childrens Library Reading Pond
- May Story Hour Theme: "Reading Around Town"
- Tuesdays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #1, Ages 3-5 years
- Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m., Pillows and PJs, Bedtime Pre-K
- Wednesdays, 10 a.m. & 10:30 a.m., Pooh Pals, Ages 2 and
- Fridays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #2, Ages 3-5 years
The library will be closed May 28 in honor of Memorial Day.
These programs are free and open to the public. The Blount County Public Library is located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville.
For further information about other library programs or services, call the library at 865-982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blountlibrary.org.
To print a one-page monthly calendar of events at the library, go to the library Web site at www.blountlibrary.org, click on "Programs and Events" and then click on "Click here to view the monthly calendar of events in printable format" or sign up to receive a monthly calendar by email by scrolling down and clicking on email@example.com and putting "subscribe" in the subject line.