The tournament is one of the major fundraising events for the Friends, with all proceeds going toward the operating expenses of the library. Registration begins at 11:30 a.m. with lunch provided. Shotgun start is 1 p.m. The fee is $80 per player. There will be prizes and trophies, as well as door prizes.
Hole sponsorships are welcome at $100 per hole. Entry forms and Hole Sponsor forms can be picked up at the library. Please call 865-448-1441 for further information.
The Mary E. Tippitt Memorial Library was a recipient this year of a $10,000 grant through the Library Services and Technology Act administered by the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Working in cooperation with Townsend Elementary School, this grant enabled the library to purchase Accelerated Reader books that compliment the school librarys collection. In addition, grant money helped Townsend Elementary purchase a new program that offers students access to all Accelerated Reader tests on the Internet instead of having to purchase individual tests on CDs. Townsend students can take their AR tests at the Mary Tippitt Library as well as at the school library.
Instrumental in helping with the grant were state library officials, former TES principal Fred Goins, current TES principal Kristi Brewer, and TES school librarian Susan Pasquini.
Library programs for May
The librarys After-School Programs for May include:
- Thursday, May 3 - "Fire Safety" with special guest Don Stallions,
Townsends Fire Chief;
- Thursday, May 10 - "Mothers Day Theme" with a book,
Mothers Day card craft, and refreshments. All programs run from
3:15 - 4:15 p.m., at the library. Children in Pre-K through Grade 5 are
invited to attend. Parents are asked to call the library at
865-448-1441 to pre-register their children no later than the day
before the program. There will be no After-School Programs in June and
- Summer Reading Program: This years summer reading program
will be held on the four Thursdays in July. The theme is "Join the
Rompin Stompin Reading Roundup." There will be programs on
the first three Thursdays and a picnic on the last Thursday. More
information on the Summer Reading Program will be available at a later
- Several new books have been added to the collection. They include
"Home to Big Stone Gap" by Adriana Trigiani; "I Heard That Song Before"
by Mary Higgins Clark; "Obsession" by Kathi Mills-Macias; "Eyes" by
Joseph Green; "Riding the Rap" by Elmore Leonard; and "A Womans
Walk With God" by Sheila Cragg.
- The Townsend Book Club meets on the fourth Thursday of every month
at 10 a.m. in the library. The book for April is "Gap Creek" by Robert
Morgan. Mays book will be "March" by Geraldine Brooks. Please
call the library at 865-448-1441 or Sarah Flack at 865-980-2110 for
- March Artist of the Month was Sallie Macy of Maryville, a painter
specializing in pet portraits. Aprils artist is Tricia Wilhoit of
Townsend, who paints in watercolor. Mays artists are Cub Scout
Pack 388 displaying their Pinewood Derby cars and their Raingutter
- The library is still collecting old telephone books. Please drop
your old phone books off at the library.
Thanks to Cub Scout Pack 388 and their leader Monica Millsaps for their work on the flower gardens in front of the library. The boys will be caring for our gardens again this year as a community service.
- The Mary Tippitt Library is located at 120 Tiger Drive in Townsend.
Hours are Monday and Tuesday from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Wednesday from noon
- 6 p.m., and Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. There is a drop
box by the front door for after-hours returns.
- Computer access is available to residents and visitors at no charge. Faxing, printing, and copying services are available for a small fee. Visitors are welcome to check out books and videos with a temporary patron number and a refundable $20 deposit.
For more information, call 865-448-1441, fax 865-448-1875, visit the website at www.discoveret.org/metmlib or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.