- Thursday, June 28, 7 p.m., "Insect and Plant Disease in Your
Garden," by Beth Babbit, Urban Horticulture Area Extension Specialist
for the University of Tennessee Extension in Knoxville, Tennessee
Master Gardener Program Coordinator and co-host of "The Garden Girls"
radio program on WNOX 100.3 in Knoxville. The program will be in the
Sharon Lawson meeting room.
- Saturday, June 30, 2 p.m., "Birth of a Story Book," by Lois Rood,
author and composer, and Ruth Phipps, artist and illustrator. Fifteen
original acrylic paintings by Ruth Phipps will be displayed at the
program along with single pages of text for each of the paintings.
Together, these will comprise pages of Lois Roods childrens
story book. Lois Rood will play a CD of 15 original compositions as she
relates the process of the birth of this childrens story. The
program will be in the Reading Rotunda.
- Wednesday, July 4, Library closed in honor of Independence Day.
June 1-30 Exhibits:
- "Fairy Fantasy" acrylics art exhibit by Ruth Phipps, illustrator,
on Art Wall at librarys Bookmark Café.
- "25th Anniversary 1982 Worlds Fair" exhibit by Nancy
Underwood in three cubes in the Main Gallery.
- "Mornings at West Millers Cove" photography exhibit by Bob Quinn on
art panels at the Reading Rotunda.
- "License Plate" life-size sculptures exhibit by Steve Russell in
the Entry Rotunda, Main Gallery at Circulation and Main Gallery at
- "Great Smoky Mountain Institute at Tremont" exhibit by Kent Jones,
in two vertical cases in the Entry Rotunda.
- "Return to Yesteryear" exhibit by Betty Best in Reference
Department genealogy display case at the reference desk.
- "Childrens Summer Reading Program" exhibit by Childrens
Library in two display cases in the Main Gallery.
- "Pandemic Flu Information" exhibit by the Blount County Chapter of
the American Red Cross and the Blount County Health Department on two
easels in one sitting area of the Main Gallery.
- "Blount County Arts and Crafts Guild Member Artwork" on two easels
in sitting areas of the Main Gallery.
- Display by Circulation Department on Circulation Desk Cabinets and New Books Shelves in the Main Gallery.
Childrens Library: 865-273-1414. (Unless otherwise indicated, all childrens programs are in the childrens library)
- Saturday, June 23, 11 a.m., Faye Wooden, storyteller, will perform
in the Childrens Library Reading Pond.
- Saturday, June 30, 11 a.m., "Farm Wildlife" will be presented by
the Knoxville Zoomobile in the Sharon Lawson meeting room.
Foreign Language Story Hours: Community volunteers will present bilingual stories and crafts for all interested children. Please call the library to verify that story hour will be held as scheduled.
- Saturday, June 30, 3 p.m., Amigos Spanish Story Hour. Additional
volunteer readers are needed.
Pre-School Story Hours and Crafts in Childrens Library Reading Pond
- June Story Hour theme: "Rompin Stompin Reading
- Tuesdays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #1, ages 3-5 years
- Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m., Pillows and PJs, Bedtime Pre-K
- Wednesdays, 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., Pooh Pals, ages 2 and
- Fridays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #2, ages 3-5 years
Musical Story Hour will not meet in June but will be offered again in July.
Garden Girls host to discuss insects, plants
If youd like to know how to diagnose and treat your garden plants when the leaves are curling or turning brown, or when the newest crop of Japanese beetles or aphids invade your flower beds, then youll want to meet Beth Babbit.
Babbit, co-host of "The Garden Girls" radio show on WNOX 100.3 and Urban Horticulture Area Extension Specialist from the University of Tennessee Plant Sciences Department, will present a program, "Insect and Plant Disease in Gardens" at the Blount County Public Library on Thursday, June 28, at 7:00 p.m.
Babbit holds bachelors and masters degrees in Horticulture, has worked as a landscaper for the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail Hotel, was a senior gardener for Opryland, managed nurseries, and served as Tennessee Master Gardener Coordinator.
Co-sponsored by the library and the Blount County Master Gardeners Association, this program is free and open to the public. The Blount County Public Library is located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville.
For further information about other library programs or services,
call the library at 865-982-0981 or visit the Web site at