- Tuesday, June 19, 6 p.m., Blount County Public Library Board of
Trustees Meeting in the Board Room.
- Tuesday, June 19, 7 p.m., "Behind the Scenes at the 1982
Worlds Fair," by Tom Sudman, a member of the Executive Management
Committee, Board and Secretary for the 1982 Worlds Fair in
Knoxville. Presentation in the Sharon Lawson Meeting Room.
- Thursday, June 28, 7 p.m., "Insect and Plant Disease in Your
Garden," by Beth Babbit, Urban Horticulture Area Extension Specialist
for the University of Tennessee Extension in Knoxville, Tennessee
Master Gardener Program Coordinator and co-host of "The Garden Girls"
radio program on WNOX 100.3 in Knoxville. The program will be in the
Sharon Lawson Meeting Room.
- Saturday, June 30, 2 p.m., "Birth of a Story Book," by Lois Rood,
author and composer, and Ruth Phipps, artist and illustrator. Fifteen
original acrylic paintings by Ruth Phipps will be displayed at the
program along with single pages of text for each of the paintings.
Together, these will comprise pages of Lois Roods childrens
story book. Lois Rood will play a CD of 15 original compositions as she
relates the process of the birth of this childrens story. The
program will be in the Reading Rotunda.
- Wednesday, July 4, Library closed in honor of Independence Day.
- Friday, June 1, sign-up begins for the Summer Teen Reading Program
June 1 through July 31. Teens, grades 6-12, are invited to sign up at
the Genealogy Reference Desk for participation in the program. There
will be a weekly drawing for prizes with a concluding party on Sunday,
July 29, at 2:00 p.m. There will be a drawing for the grand prizes, a
$70 Visa gift card and an iPod Shuffle.
- June 1-30, Teen Bulletin Board on the bulletin board in the Teen area of the Library.
June 1-30 Exhibits:
- "Fairy Fantasy" acrylics art exhibit by Ruth Phipps, illustrator,
on Art Wall at librarys Bookmark Café.
- "25th Anniversary 1982 Worlds Fair" exhibit by Nancy
Underwoodin three cubes in the Main Gallery.
- "Mornings at West Millers Cove" photography exhibit by Bob Quinn on
art panels at the Reading Rotunda.
- "License Plate" life-size sculptures exhibit by Steve Russell in
the Entry Rotunda, Main Gallery at Circulation and Main Gallery at
- "Great Smoky Mountain Institute at Tremont" exhibit by Kent Jones,
in two vertical cases in the Entry Rotunda.
- "Return to Yesteryear" exhibit by Betty Best in Reference
Department Genealogy Display Case at the Reference Desk.
- "Childrens Summer Reading Program" exhibit by Childrens
Library in two display cases in the Main Gallery.
- "Pandemic Flu Information" exhibit by the Blount County Chapter of
the American Red Cross and the Blount County Health Department on two
easels in one sitting area of the Main Gallery.
- "Blount County Arts and Crafts Guild Member Artwork" on two easels
in sitting areas of the Main Gallery.
- Display by Circulation Department on Circulation Desk Cabinets and New Books Shelves in the Main Gallery.
BOOK DISCUSSION GROUP:
June Book: "The Illuminator" by Brenda Vantrease, at 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, June 13. The second Wednesday of each month.
Childrens Library: 865-273-1414. (Unless otherwise indicated, all childrens programs are in the childrens library)
- Saturday, June 9, 11 a.m., Scott Humston, magician, in the Sharon
Lawson Meeting Room.
- Saturday, June 16, 11 a.m., "A Day With Laura Ingles Wilder,"
presented by Julie Duke, Childrens Library Services Consultant of
the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Join Julie as she portrays
Ms. Wilder in period costume, in the Childrens Library Reading
- Monday, June 18, 2 p.m., Ron Lighty, ventriloquist, will perform in
the Childrens Library Reading Pond.
- Saturday, June 23, 11 a.m., Faye Wooden, storyteller, will perform
in the Childrens Library Reading Pond.
- Saturday, June 30, 11 a.m., "Farm Wildlife" will be presented by the Knoxville Zoomobile in the Sharon Lawson Meeting Room.
Monthly Surprise Display will be showcased in the Childrens Library office window. The monthly topic will not be publicized, but children can guess the theme by reading clues on the librarys Web site. Visit the Childrens Library to see if you guessed the correct display topic.
Foreign Language Story Hours: Community volunteers will present
bilingual stories and crafts for all interested children. Please call
the library to verify that story hour will be held as scheduled.
- Saturday, June 30, 3 p.m., Amigos Spanish Story Hour. Additional volunteer readers are needed.
Elementary Age Activities:
- Fiction Favorites - Kids Reviews. Read juvenile fiction
books, write and share reviews. Find book review forms and logs in
Childrens Reference area.
- Mondays, 6 p.m., Funtabulous Family Game Night. Families with
children of all ages can enjoy a fun-filled evening of board games,
puzzles, hopscotch, toddler bowling, play huts, and more.
- Tuesdays, 4 p.m., Serendipity Activities, grades K-6, in
Childrens Library. Sign up in Childrens Library to
- June 12 - grades K-2, Wild West Foam Stamps
- June 19 - grades 3-6, Concho Key Chains
- June 26 - grades K-2, Visors
- Colorful Thursdays offer fun and education for kids who love to color. Coloring pages with crayons, markers, and colored pencils are available at the childrens activity tables from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. each Thursday.
- ATTENTION: All clubs, workshops, and book searches will be suspended during the summer months. They will resume in September.
Pre-School Story Hours and Crafts in Childrens Library Reading
- June Story Hour theme: "Rompin Stompin Reading
- Tuesdays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #1, ages 3-5 years
- Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m., Pillows and PJs, Bedtime Pre-K
- Wednesdays, 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., Pooh Pals, ages 2 and
- Fridays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #2, ages 3-5 years
Musical Story Hour will not meet in June but will be offered again in July.
These programs are free and open to the public. The Blount County Public Library is located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville.
For further information about other library programs or services, call the Library at 865-982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blountlibrary.org.
To print a one-page monthly calendar of events at the Library, go to
the Library Web site at www.blountlibrary.org, click on "Programs and
Events" and then click on "Click here to view the monthly calendar of
events in printable format" or sign-up to receive a monthly calendar by
email by scrolling down and clicking on email@example.com and
putting "subscribe" in the subject line.