- Thursday, Jan. 18, 7 p.m., "Fort Loudoun and the Seven Years War"
by author and re-enactor, Wayne Zurl, in the Sharon Lawson Room.
- Thursday, Jan. 18, 12 noon to 6:00 p.m., "Used Book Sale-Members
Only" by Friends of the Blount County Public Library, in the lower
level of the library.
- Friday and Saturday, Jan. 19 and 20, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., "Used Book
Sale" by Friends of the Blount County Public Library, in the lower
level of the library.
- Thursday, Jan. 25, 7 p.m., "Know Your Rights and Duties as a
Taxpayer," by the Tennessee Taxpayer Project of the Legal Aid Society,
with Paula Trujillo, in the Sharon Lawson Room.
- Tuesday, Jan. 30, 7 p.m., "Selecting and Growing Native Trees and Shrubs" by Nancy Robinson, Blount County Master Gardener, in the Sharon Lawson Room.
- Saturdays, Jan. 20 and 27, 12 noon - 2 p.m., "Teen Sculpting Workshops I and II with professional sculptor / artist, Annamaria Gundlach. Pre-registration Required by signing up at the Library Reference Desk or calling 865-273-1436 or 865-982-0981, ext 4. Light refreshments will be served. High school and middle school students are invited. Class size is limited to first 20 registrants. Workshop is free, but please notify Reference Department if not able to attend after you register. Workshop will be in the Dorothy Herron Room A.
- "Cancer: A Word of Many Words" Art Exhibit by Kim Nixon, artist,
and RaRa Schlitt, author, on freestanding exhibit panels in the Main
Gallery near the Childrens Library.
- "William Blount High School Student Art Exhibit" by Carrell Ray,
William Blount High School Art Department, on Art Panels near the
- "Retro Toys Exhibit" by Blount County Public Library staff, in two
display cases in the Main Gallery.
- "Blount County Beekeepers Association Exhibit" by Dennis Barry in
three cubes in the Entry Rotunda.
- "Blount County Home Education Association Exhibit" by Lori Wade, in
two vertical cases in the Entry Rotunda.
- "Sister Cities International Young Artists Exhibit" by Blount
County Sister City Organization in one Reference Department Office
(Exhibit to be on display from December 20, 2006, until Jan. 7,
- "Blount County Arts and Crafts Guild Member Artwork on two easels
in Sitting Areas of the Main Gallery.
- "Genealogy Exhibit" by Reference Department in Genealogy Display
Case at the Reference Desk.
- "Display" by Circulation Department on Circulation Desk Cabinets and New Books Shelves in the Main Gallery.
Childrens Library: 865-273-1414:
Foreign Language Story Hours:
Community volunteers will present bilingual stories and crafts for all interested children.
- Saturday, Jan. 27, 3 p.m., Amigos Spanish Story Hour in the
Elementary Age Activities:
- Fiction Favorites - Kids Reviews. Read Juvenile Fiction
books, write and share reviews. Find book review forms and logs in
Childrens Reference area.
- Mondays, 6 p.m., Funtabulous Family Game Night. Families with
children of all ages can enjoy a fun-filled evening of board games,
puzzles, hopscotch, toddler bowling, play huts, and more, in the
- Tuesdays, 4 p.m., Serendipity Activities, Grades K-6, in
Childrens Library. Sign up in Childrens Library to
- Jan. 23 - Grades K-2, Design a Bear
- Jan. 30 - Grades 3-6, Pom Pom Note Holder
- Tuesday, Jan. 30, 6:30 p.m., Chess Club, Elementary grade levels,
in the Childrens Library.
- Wednesday, Jan. 24, 4p.m., Reading Zone Elementary Story Hour,
Grades K-2, in the Childrens Library. Story hour meets on the
fourth Wednesday of each month.
- Wednesdays at 4 pm, Library Skills Workshops. Must be a reader and
sign up in Childrens Library to participate. Learn Dewey Decimal
System and Computer Catalog Skills, in the Childrens
- Jan. 17 - Grades 4-6, Online Research
- Colorful Thursdays offer fun and education for kids who love to
color. Coloring pages with crayons, markers, and colored pencils are
available at the childrens activity tables in the Childrens
Library all day and evening (9 a.m. to 9 p.m.) each Thursday.
- Thursdays, Jan. 11 and 18, 4 p.m., "Survivor" Book Search for
Grades 4-6, in the Childrens Library. Please sign-up at the
Childrens Circulation Desk.
- Thursday, Jan. 25, 4 p.m., "Survivor" Book Search for 3rd Grade, in
the Childrens Library. Please sign-up at the Childrens
- Friday, Jan. 19, 4:30 p.m., Stamp Club for elementary aged children meets in the Childrens Library.
Pre-School Story Hours & Crafts in Childrens Library
- January Story Hour Theme: "So much to see, so much to do @ your
- Tuesdays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #1, Ages 3-5 years
- Tuesdays, 6:30 pm, Pillows and PJs, Bedtime Pre-K
- Wednesdays, 10 a.m. & 10:30 a.m., Pooh Pals, Ages 2 and
- Fridays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #2, Ages 3-5 years
These programs are free and open to the public. The Blount County Public Library is located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville.
For further information about other library programs or services, call the library at 865-982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blountlibrary.org.
To print a one-page monthly calendar of events at the library, go to the library Web site at www.blountlibrary.org, click on "Programs and Events" and then click on "Click here to view the monthly calendar of events in printable format" or sign up to receive a monthly calendar by email by scrolling down and clicking on email@example.com and putting "subscribe" in the subject line.