The event was the grand finale of six months of excitement. The
debutantes have toured Spellman College in Atlanta,
received ballroom dancing lessons, learned proper dining etiquette and attended various churches in the community.
The young ladies parents were allowed to take part in some of the activities with their daughters.
At the ball, Precious Sankey was crowned the Royal Princess 2007
Debutante. Each deb was awarded a scholarship.
The 2007 debs are:
- Precious Sankey. She is the daughter of Latosha Sankey and Chico Echols and is a student at Alcoa High School. Her escort was Joshua Harvey.
- Charmaine Hodge. Charmaine is the daughter of Terri and Derek Kellogg and is a student at Maryville High School. She was escorted by Adrian Baker.
- Tamesha Prater. Tamesha is the daughter of Shane and Felicia Lenoir and is a student at Heritage High School. Her escort was Chris Shiverdecker.
- Dera Sankey. She is the daughter of Melissa Walker Harvey and Larry Sankey and is a student at Alcoa High School. She was escorted by Aleoric Walker.
- Brittany White. Brittany is the daughter of Tracy White and is a student at Central High School. She was escorted by Greg Waddell.
The Red Hat Society Jewels consists of 11 Red Hatters and four Pink Hatters who meet once a month. In addition to their activities with the debs, they make contributions to the American Cancer Society and the Relay for Life.
"Our Queen Mother, Gaynell Ferguson, had a vision to sponsor a
debutante ball for the young ladies in our community and surrounding
area," Barbara Gaines said. The project, she added, was considered a
success by all involved.