The contest consists of three elements: A knowledge test, identification test and a judging contest, where students judge a class of horses. There were over 80 individual participants, and 20 teams in each division. The top four teams in each division go on and compete at the state level on Feb. 17 in Cookeville. Blount County will be taking four teams on to the state contest.
Winners at the Regional Contest were:
- 2nd place in the Senior Division - Stacy Mallette, Rachel Cox,
Wendy Mallette, and Elizabeth Webb.
- 1st place in the Jr. High Division - Sarah Steeley, Jessica Moore,
Abbi Rutherford, and Britney Fields.
- 3rd place in the Jr. High Division - Abby Crosby, Gretchen Ross,
Aubrey Webb and Cody Shallcross.
- 3rd place in the Jr. Division - Lindsey Ross, Alex Cherry, Sarah Witson, and Mackenzie Hagy.
There were also individual awards received:
- Sr. Division - Rachel Cox, 6th place and Stacy Mallette, 9th
- Junior High Division - Jessica Moore, 1st place; Abbi Rutherford,
2nd place; Gretchen Ross 6th place; Tiffany Bryant 8th place; and
Britney Fields, 9th place.
- Jr. Division - Lindsey Ross, 2nd place.