Teens are invited to a Teen Open Mic Poetry Night at the library and are invited throughout the month to participate in a poetry exchange at the Teen bulletin board.
Two musical concerts are scheduled in April, and James Newburn of UT Gardens will discuss "The Best of UT Gardens - summer flowers, annuals and plants. On Saturday and Sunday, April 28 and 29, Fine Arts Blount will hold their annual member art show and an area high school student art show.
EVENTS: Lectures, Speakers, Workshops:
- 5th Birthday Celebration of the New Library Building during
National Library Week (Sunday, April 15 through Saturday April 21) -
sponsored by the three Library Boards (Trustees, Foundation and
Friends)of the Blount County Public Library:
- Sunday, April 15, 2 p.m., "Literacy and the Church: A Discussion of
The Book and Books," by a panel of community clergy
coordinated by Jason McNeal in the Sharon Lawson Room.
- Monday, April 16, 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m., "Oak Ridge Technology
Corridor - Economic Impacts for the Region" by Thomas Ballard, director
of Economic Development and Partnerships for UT-Battelle, the managing
contractor for Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Coffee and Forum hosted
by the Blount County Chamber of Commerce in the Dorothy Herron Rooms of
- Tuesday evening, April 17, "Celebrating Diversity" Booths by 6 Girl
Scout troops, coordinated by Kimberly Proffitt, in the meeting room
hallway of the library.
- Wednesday, April 18, "Looking Good - Feeling Good" coordinated by
Joy Bishop in the Sharon Lawson Room:
- 10 a.m., "Hair Styling Demonstration and Lecture," by Patsy Schmidt
Love, owner, Schmidt and Designers.
- 11 a.m., "Wellness as We Age," exercises appropriate for good
health, led by Leslie Rutherford, director, Blount Memorial Wellness
- 1 p.m., "Skin Care," demonstration on an audience member volunteer,
by Jimmye Holloway, Licensed Aesthetician, L.M.T., owner of Natural
- 2 p.m., "Makeup," demonstration and lecture by Yvonne Butler,
owner, Merle Norman.
- Saturday, April 21, 11 a.m. "Childrens Story Time" by area
high school students, coordinated by Hardy DeYoung, in the
Childrens Library Reading Pond.
- Tuesday, April 17, 6 p.m., "Blount County Public Library Board of
Trustees Meeting," in the Board Room.
- "Used Book Sale" by Friends of the Blount County Public Library in
the lower level of the library.
- Thursday, April 19, 12 noon to 6 p.m., "Members Only"
- Friday, April 20, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., "Open to the Public"
- Saturday, April 21, 9 am to 3 p.m., "Open to the Public"
- Thursday, April 26, 7 p.m., "The Best of UT Gardens - Selecting and
Growing - Summer Flowers, Annuals and Plants" program by James Newburn
of UT Gardens, presented in cooperation with the Blount County Master
Gardeners Association in the Sharon Lawson Room.
- Saturday, April 28, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, April 29, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., "Fine Arts Blount Annual Member Art Show and Area High School Student Art Show" in Dorothy Herron Rooms A & B, Sharon Lawson Room and Meeting Room Hall.
- Monday, April 30, 7 p.m., "Rejoice Choir," concert in the Reading Rotunda.
- April 1-30, Teen Poetry Exchange: Take a Poem, Leave a Poem on the bulletin board in the Teen area of the Library. Throughout the month of April, teens are invited to the library to read, write, enjoy and/or share poetry in the Teen section of the library. All poems must indicate authors name. If you need to know where the Teen section is located, ask any Reference librarian.
Childrens Library: 865-273-1414. (Unless otherwise indicated, all childrens programs are in the childrens library)
- Saturday, April 14, 11 a.m., Special Story Hour will be presented
by Future Business Leaders of America.
- Saturday, April 21, 11 a.m., Childrens Reading Time celebrating National Library Week.