Several of the winning teams donated their first-place prizes back to the club to go in the coffers to benefit the groups programs in Blount County. One of their signature programs is the clubs continued strong support of Imagination Library, a program begun by Dolly Parton to get books into the hands of children from newborns to age 5.
With three teams in the top flight tied at 56 for first place, Bill
Clabough spoke up for his team and donated their prize
money back to the Maryville Kiwanis. Other teams quickly took up the challenge.
"This is wonderful," said Robert Russell, who was chairing the event for the Kiwanis.
Early estimates of the amount raised -- before the donations of winnings -- was more than $26,000.
Emily Palenkas, a Maryville High School senior, won Longest Drive in the womens category, and Jim Millsaps won the honors for the men. Closest to the hole winners were Tom Pack (on 8), Ray Pack (on 13) and Shane Creasy (on 17).
Taking first, second and third -- after a tie-breaking coin toss --
in the top flight with 56 were:
- Bill Clabough, Brad McConnell, Leon Roddy and Ron Roddy.
- Ray Pack, Tom Pack, George Quarles and George Samuels.
- Paul Krier, Jim Cole, Fred McMurray and Dave Jones.
Taking first place in the second flight with 63 were:
- Tim Bledsoe, Eddie Trammel, Shane Creasy and Larry Stargel.
Second and third places went to:
- Kevin Proffitt, Lynn Kidd, Rufus King and Jerry Hodge
- Bill Nix, Jim Millsaps, Greg Wilson and Tony Thompson.