In addition to many talented musical performers, there will also be a drama, "The One and Only Santa Claus," that should be fun and entertaining for the whole family-youngsters from one to 101!
And there will be opportunity to meet and talk with several local authors who are sharing and signing their books: Dean Stones new books of fantastic photography documenting Blount County history, Snapshots of Blount County, Volumes I & II, and Nicki Richesin and Louise Jarviss book, The May Queen.
With soups back on the menu at the Bookmark Café, you might want to consider a short lunch break at the library during holiday shopping, and gift certificates available at the café are great for the "person who has everything!"
As always, there is something for everyone at the library, and we invite you to join us for a great holiday experience.
- Thursday, Dec. 14, 1 pm, "Maryville High School Orchestra String
Ensemble I" directed by Bill Robinson, in the Reading Rotunda.
- Thursday, Dec. 14, 2:15 pm, "Maryville High School Orchestra String
Ensemble II" directed by Bill Robinson, in the Reading Rotunda.
- Thursday, Dec. 14, 7 p.m., "Maryville Middle School Orchestra (2nd
Group)" directed by David Pope, in the Reading Rotunda.
- Sunday, Dec. 17, 2 p.m., "Transformers Choir Concert" directed by
Barbara Grigsby, in the Reading Rotunda.
- Monday, Dec. 18, 6:30 p.m., "Sam Houston Singers" directed by Pam Gildrie in the Reading Rotunda.
EVENTS AND SPEAKERS:
- Tuesday, Dec. 19, 6 p.m., "Blount County Public Library Board of
Trustees Meeting," in the Reading Rotunda.
- Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, December 24, 25 & 26, LIBRARY
CLOSED in observance of December holidays.
- Monday, January 1, 2007, LIBRARY CLOSED in observance of New Years Day.
- Teens, Join other teens at the Blount County Public Library for one or more of the numerous concerts and the drama performance during the month of December at the library by other area teens from the local high schools, middle schools and other musical and drama groups.
- "World War II Navajo Codetalker Exhibit," by Loretta Howard and the
Yellow Eagles in Genealogy Display Case at Reference Desk and Offices
- "One-of-a-Kind Dolls Collection Exhibit" by Olga Rader, in one
vertical case in the Entry Rotunda.
- "Handmade Christmas Stockings Exhibit" by Blount County Public
Library staff and Community, in two display cases in the Main
- "Maryville High School Student Art Exhibit" by Jeanie Parker,
Maryville High School Art Department, on Art Panels near the Reading
- "Greater Knoxville Ceramics Association Clay Art Exhibit" by
Greater Knoxville Ceramics Association members in one vertical case and
one cube in the Entry Rotunda.
- "Ceramic Pet Bowls Student Art Exhibit" by Children at St. Andrews
Episcopal Church, in one cube in the Entry Rotunda.
- "Sister Cities International Young Artists Exhibit" by Blount
County Sister City Organization in one Reference Department Office
(Exhibit to be on display from December 20, 2006, until January 7,
- "Blount County Arts & Crafts Guild Artwork on two easels in
Sitting Areas of the Main Gallery.
- "Holiday Books Display" by Circulation Department on Circulation Desk Cabinets and New Books Shelves in the Main Gallery.
Childrens Library: 865-273-1414:
- Angel Tree Donation Opportunity: Help the childrens library by selecting a craft angel from the Angel Tree (at the Childrens Library) and purchasing craft and library supplies to supplement the program needs of the childrens story hours and programs.
Foreign Language Story Hours:
Community volunteers will present bilingual stories and crafts for all interested children.
- Saturday, Dec. 30, 3 p.m., Amigos Spanish Story Hour in the Childrens Library.
Elementary Age Activities:
- Fiction Favorites - Kids Reviews. Read Juvenile Fiction
books, write and share reviews. Find book review forms and logs in
Childrens Reference area.
- Mondays, 6 p.m., Funtabulous Family Game Night. Families with
children of all ages can enjoy a fun-filled evening of board games,
puzzles, hopscotch, toddler bowling, play huts, and more, in the
- Tuesdays, 4 p.m., Serendipity Activities, Grades K-6, in
Childrens Library. Sign up in Childrens Library to
- Dec. 19 - Grades K-2, Reindeer headband
- Tuesday, Dec. 19, 6:30 p.m., Chess Club, Elementary grade levels,
in the Childrens Library.
- Wednesday, Dec. 27, 4 p.m., Reading Zone Elementary Story Hour,
Grades K-2, in the Childrens Library. Story hour meets on the
fourth Wednesday of each month.
- Wednesdays at 4 p.m., Library Skills Workshops. MUST BE A READER
and sign up in Childrens Library to participate. Learn Dewey
Decimal System and Computer Catalog Skills, in the Childrens
- Dec. 20 - Grades 4-6, Online Research
- Colorful Thursdays offer fun and education for kids who love to color. Coloring pages with crayons, markers, and colored pencils are available at the childrens activity tables in the Childrens Library all day and evening (9 a.m. to 9 p.m.) each Thursday.
Pre-School Story Hours and Crafts - in Childrens Library
- Story Hour Themes: December is "Joyful Reading" Month
- Dec. 17 - 23 - Reindeer Ride
- Dec. 27 - 30 - Jolly Delights
- Tuesdays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #2, Ages 3-5 years
- Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m., Pillows and PJs, Bedtime Pre-K
- Wednesdays, 10 a.m. & 10:30 a.m., Pooh Pals, Ages 2 and
- Fridays, 10 a.m., Story Bears #3, Ages 3-5 years
Musical Story Hour: Sunday, Dec. 3, 4 p.m., Musical Story Hour will be offered by professional presenter with stories, fun movement, and exploration of musical instruments for children ages birth to 5 years old.
The library will be closed December 24, 25, & 26, 2006, and January 1, 2007.
These programs are free and open to the public. The Blount County Public Library is located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville.
For further information about other library programs or services, call the library at 865-982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blountlibrary.org.